By Gill Jagger
Judith Butler's paintings on gender, sexuality, identification, and the physique has proved hugely influential throughout quite a number educational disciplines within the humanities and social sciences. but it's also notoriously tricky to entry.
This key ebook presents a accomplished creation to Butler's paintings, plus a severe exam of it and its precursors, either feminist (including Simone de Beauvoir, Monique Wittig, Julia Kristeva and Luce Irigaray), and non-feminist (including Erving Goffman, Michel Foucault, Jacques Lacan, and Jacques Derrida). the quantity covers such themes as:
- gender as functionality and performativity
- sociological notions of performance
- the materiality of the physique and the function of biology
- power, identification and social regulation
- subjectivity, supplier and feminist political practice.
A finished advent to Butler’s paintings, this ebook additionally covers melancholia and gender identity, hate speech, pornography and 'race', social switch and transformation, and Butler’s moving relation to psychoanalysis.
Clearly laid out to hide key issues for a pupil viewers, this article will be a vital learn for undergraduates within the fields of gender, psychoanalysis and sociology.
Read or Download Judith Butler: Sexual Politics, Social Change and the Power of the Performative PDF
Best gender studies books
A specific darkish triumph of contemporary nationalism has been its skill to cajole electorate to sacrifice their lives for a political imaginative and prescient solid by way of emotional ties to a typical identity. Both women and men can reply to nationalistic calls to struggle that painting muscular warriors protecting their state opposed to an simply recognizable enemy.
Public bogs supply a different chance for interrogating how traditional assumptions in regards to the physique, sexuality, privateness, and know-how are shaped in public areas and inscribed via layout throughout cultures. This choice of unique essays from foreign students is the 1st to discover the cultural meanings, histories, and ideologies of public bogs as gendered areas.
Ce livre nous aide à décrypter les fantasmes qui opèrent au travail, en établissant des passerelles entre l. a. vie de famille, l. a. vie privée du couple et los angeles scène de l'entreprise. Les crises financières et économiques que nous traversons s'en trouvent éclairées. Si les forces de l'inconscient façonnent l. a. vie de nos corporations, de nos sociétés, elles ont leur origine dans l'intime.
This interdisciplinary examine of competing representations of the Virgin Mary examines how anxieties approximately non secular and gender identities intersected to create public controversies that, when ostensibly approximately theology and liturgy, have been additionally makes an attempt to outline the position and nature of girls. Drawing on various resources, this e-book seeks to revise our realizing of the Victorian non secular panorama, either retrieving Catholics from the cultural margins to which they're frequently relegated, and calling for a reassessment of the Protestant perspective to the female perfect.
- Laughter, Humor, and the (Un)making of Gender: Historical and Cultural Perspectives
- La régulation sociale des minorités sexuelles: L'inquiétude de la différence (French Edition)
- Inventing the Mathematician: Gender, Race, and Our Cultural Understanding of Mathematics
- London Clubland: A Cultural History of Gender and Class in Late Victorian Britain
- Genre à l'école des enseignantes: Embûches de la mixité et leviers de la parité (Logiques sociales) (French Edition)
- Fixing Sex: Intersex, Medical Authority, and Lived Experience
Additional info for Judith Butler: Sexual Politics, Social Change and the Power of the Performative